Covers volumes 9-16 of Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya
Massive Furuba fan and Anime News Network editor Jacob Chapman is back to discuss the middle third of Takaya’s classic with Shojo & Tell host Ashley. Most of the dark, dark Sohma family secrets have been revealed this time around, and Tohru is in turmoil over Kyo’s fate. But we’re saving most of the Kyo talk for the third and final podcast! This time, Yuki’s struggles shine after his confrontation with Akito. The particular pains of motherhood — with Tohru’s mother complex and many of the Sohma’s crummy parents — are scrutinized at length. And Jacob explains how Fruits Basket accurately captures the cyclic nature of abuse. It’s a heavy episode, but then, there’s also talk about how the play “Sorta Cinderella” is very funny. Try not to cry too much, alright?
- Fruits Basket is available from Yen Press in a very nice collector’s edition
- The Fruits Basket anime is available from Funimation
- Jacob’s Fruits Basket radio drama can still be listened to here
- Here's a random Fruits Basket/“She’s So High” AMV just to prove the point
- An in-depth Twitter thread from Jacob comparing Yen Press’ editions to the original Tokyopop releases
- Surely you remember Disney’s Tangled?
- Book about sand and sand mafias: The World in a Grain
- Outro song: “For Fruits Basket” by AmaLee (an English cover of the Fruits Basket anime opening). Download this song and AmaLee’s other great covers in iTunes here.
- Jacob on Twitter: @itsbonedaddy
- Shojo & Tell on Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook
- Ashley on Twitter: @AshMcD00