Covers volumes 1-9 of Fushigi Yugi by Yu Watase
Watase’s classic stirs up a lot of feelings in this first Shojo & Tell episode to have three people voicing their opinions. The nostalgia goggles are definitely on for Ashley, Caitlin, and Jessica as they debate who the best celestial warrior is (NURIKO IS THE GREATEST! NO! TASUKI!), ponder the strange choice to have the Seiryu warriors be evil, and discuss how the isekai genre has evolved over the years since Fushigi Yugi (ugh, Sword Art Online). Other questions answered: Should FY get a new anime adaptation? Do luck and privilege intersect? Is Genbu Kaiden the superior FY? Is love really war?
- Fushigi Yugi (and Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden) is available from Viz Media’s Shojo Beat line
- Fushigi Yugi: Byakko Senki is currently running in Japan
- Request Viz to pick up Byakko Senki
- Read more of Caitlin’s thoughts on FY in her Anime Feminist posts
- "Education mothers"
- Isekai genre
- Watase updating FY characters to her new art style
- Anime Feminist also did watchalong podcasts for the FY anime if you need more FY talk
- Outro song: “Itoshii Hito no Tame ni” by Akemi Sato (Fushigi Yugi opening theme), which you can buy in Japanese iTunes
- Follow Caitlin on Twitter @alltsun_nodere
- Check out Caitlin’s blog, I Have a Heroine Problem
- Find Caitlin’s writings on Anime Feminist
- Follow Shojo & Tell on Twitter @shojoandtell
- Follow Shojo & Tell on Instagram @shojoandtell
- Follow Ashley on Twitter @AshMcD00
Comments, questions, concerns? Need to gush about your OTP? Want to tell us your favorite Celestial Warrior? Email shojoandtell [at] gmail.com or simply leave a comment on the episode page.